Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How motherhood has changed me

I've been thinking lately about how motherhood has changed me, both physically (apart from the obvious!) and mentally.

1. I frequently have a sore or cut lip from being headbutted by an over excited Magoo. If I'm not careful it will cause permanent lip swelling and I will start looking like Nicole Kidman.

2. My hands look like an 80 year old's, on account of all the hand sanitiser and washing of bottles, dummies etc. I would moisturise more but Magoo is a slippery little bugger as it is and I don't want to make it worse.

3. I can eat a freaking truckload each day and not put on weight thanks to the marvels of breast feeding. I plan to breast feed (or at least express) for the rest of my life, it's like doing 6-7 workouts a day...

4. I can not watch any child birth scene on television without bawling. Even the natural labour ones that don't apply to me (I had the letterbox method) reduce me to a weeping mess. Just thinking about that moment that I heard Magoo cry for the first time gives me goosebumps.

5. I can kill bugs with gay abandon and no regret. You threaten my child I will eliminate you. And yes a tiny spider over the other side of the room threatens my child.

6. I talk to everyone now. I used to be a pretty shy lass and strangers were not usually talked to. When you have a cute baby like Magoo everyone wants to talk to you. And I want to talk back. Probably because it's an actual conversation as opposed to "oooh? Oooh?? *giggle* *raspberry*"

7. Only my family and friends are important to me now. Oh and chocolate. Most other things, especially of a material nature are pretty irrelevant. Probably because now I'm not working I can't afford to be material anyway.

8. Vomit doesn't freak me out anymore. I used to want to be a doctor but always thought that I couldn't handle the vomit part of the job. Having seen, smelt, felt and caught (yes caught) spew daily for the last 5 months I can now say it doesn't bother me in the slightest. After all, spew is just food that you get to meet again.

I have to say I really prefer the mummy me to the old me. I am more mellow and appreciative of the little things that happen in my day. I am less judgemental of other people and realise that we are all just doing the best we can. It's a big shift for me but I think important so that I can be the best mum to a very impressionable Magoo. Now I just need to work on my truckie mouth. I don't know how hubby will feel if "shitsticks" or "bugger" are the first words out of Magoo's mouth...

2 comments:

  1. lol - spew is food you get to meet again! Hmm, can you work on one that equates to farts and I will use that one ALL the time :) re: #7 and material stuff....people survive on MY wage, alone...so I think you really will be fine. Go on, go buy some not-so-slippery moisturiser ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I like to think of farts as a musical collaboration between the rectum and food. Think Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue "Where the wild roses grow", which coincidentally does actually sound like it came from the rectum...

    ReplyDelete